Is it bad to drive a diesel with a bad injector?
While fuel injector problems usually give warning, driving your vehicle for a long time with a clogged or faulty fuel injector can cause problems. … Increased fuel consumption. A noticeable increase in tailpipe smoke and emissions. Rough idle and hesitation during acceleration.
How do I know if my 6.7 Cummins has a bad injector?
Symptoms of Failing Dodge Cummins Fuel Injectors
- Excessive Smoke.
- Power Loss.
- Rough Idle.
- Fuel in Oil.
- High Return Fuel.
- No Start.
How do you check the resistance of a diesel injector?
Part 1 of 2: Testing injector resistance
- Material Needed.
- Step 1: Make sure the key is off. …
- Step 2: Remove injector wiring harness. …
- Step 3: Set DVOM to measure ohms. …
- Step 4: Test resistance with DVOM. …
- Step 5: Repeat with all injectors. …
- Step 1: Turn the car on. …
- Step 2: Set up DVOM to measure DC voltage.
How do you know when to replace diesel injectors?
Signs of diesel fuel injector wear
- Fluctuating power. If your vehicle is revving inconsistently or your RPM gauge is up and down, this may be a sign your fuel injector needs a clean. …
- Misfiring. Do you find your vehicle misfiring on ignition? …
- Fuel odours. …
- Reduced fuel economy.
What causes Cummins injectors to go bad?
Fuel injectors will fail when debris (water, dirt particles, etc.) or rust find their way into the system and, after time, plug up the nozzle, the armature, or the nozzle needle gets stuck. To prevent debris from getting into the system, we recommend doing everything you can to help keep your fuel system clean.
How much fuel pressure does a 5.9 Cummins need?
Conclusion. To recap, your 5.9 Cummins fuel pressure specs should be about 25-27 PSI at idle. If the vehicle is not under any load, you should get about 17-22 PSI and 32-35 at WOT.
How much does it cost to have diesel injectors tested?
The cost for testing and cleaning injectors can range from as low as $15 up to $100 for each injector, but the majority of them cost only $50 per injector.