What motor skills do infants have at birth?
Fine and Gross Motor Skills: Birth-12 Months
- Focus eyes on objects about 12 inches away.
- Raise head when lying on their stomach.
- Jump at loud noises.
- Smile back when you smile at them.
- Watch their own hands move.
- Hold a rattle for a few minutes.
What age do infants develop gross motor skills?
By about 3 or 4 months, baby can raise their head and chest when lying on their belly. At about 6 months, baby can roll over, both ways (from the stomach to back and back to stomach). At about 7 months, baby can sit up without support. At about 8 or 9 months, baby may start to crawl.
What is a gross motor skill activity?
Gross motor (physical) skills are those which require whole body movement and which involve the large (core stabilising) muscles of the body to perform everyday functions, such as standing, walking, running, and sitting upright.